In order to understand where we are heading in education, it is important see how far we have come and how old fashioned some of our learning tools and habits are !Education is the most powerful missile which you can use to change the world. With the world around us ever-changing, education is now more important than ever.
Education in ancient
- Writing was developed in several ancient societies around the globe including hieroglyphics in Egypt and Phoenician writing system in Greece.
- Greeks started using text intended for education laying the ground work for textbooks at very ancient roots.
- Romans used wax tablets and metal styluses to write so the surfaces could would be wiped clean for reuse later and also opened schools to teach children rudimentary skills and socialization.
- Egyptians built The Royal Library in the ancient world.
Education in the middle ages
- The first medieval institutions considered today to be universities were established in France, England and America. These are the centres of art, medicine, law and theology.
- The seven liberal arts made up the core students learning experiences like Latin grammar, rhetoric, logic, arithmetic, astronomy, geometry and music.
- Johannes Gutenberg invented the printing press, thus altering the way information and texts were spread and consumed.
- The lecture format in education emerged in medieval universities.
Education in U.S
- Boston Latin School, founded in Massachusetts, became the first public school in the U.S. It still stands as a Nation’s first school.
- Secretary of education, Horace man created a state-wide system for professional teachers.
- The elementary and secondary education Act of 1965 provided federal aid to public education.
- Computers play a critical part of academics. In 1960, educators at Dartmouth transformed role of computers in education to be one of the purpose. Tablets and smart phones were released; they changed the meaning of digital education.
- The popularity of virtual degree programs and massive open online courses grew. Educational institutions and others offered two way digital video.
- Social media and blogs the opportunity to learn from others at anytime anywhere. Students can also get connected with others with similar interest.
Education will be in 20years
- Open Knowledge from open educational resources, will replace traditional educational media, like textbooks to create a new way to find and consume information.
- The future will be without teachers but their roles will get involved in roles will evolve. In K-12 schooling, teachers will act as enablers and supporters rather than lecturers and controllers.