Leave time tracking procedure varies in different companies. Some prefer simple time-off tracking systems, some create many leave types and keep track of leave balances. The requirements depend on the company’s internal procedure, national or regional regulations, etc.
We conducted a research among actiPLANS users on how companies track absence of their employees. The results give an insight into what tools are used, what leaves are taken, and how the overall amount of time off is calculated.
According to our research, most companies (90%) track leaves in timesheets where they record working time. The remaining 10% use special leave management software to keep track of employees’ absences.
83% of companies keep track of the paid time-off balance. Paid time-off is an overall bank of days or hours off that an employee can use. Companies can configure various leave types to affect the balance, depending on legal requirements and company’s procedures.
Among the leaves that influence the overall balance, sick days and vacation are the most frequently used ones. However, there are other types, some of which are specific to the company or for the region where it is located.
In most companies, leave balances to consist of three types: sick days, vacation, and time off. Parental leave is also one of frequently used type. Among other leaves, time off in lieu and compensational leaves, personal days, and studies are recorded.
Regional differences in leave tracking trends are also remarkable, sometimes within the same company. Companies with offices around the world have different leave options for their employees in different countries. This is how public holidays in different local offices are sometimes tracked: special leave types are created for national public holidays.