Did you know that cholesterol is found in every cell of our body? It plays an important role in the chemistry of the body. Most people have a very wrong notion about cholesterol.
The word cholesterol itself is being used as a term that means doom these days. It could be because people are being affected by illnesses in which cholesterol is a factor. It is not entirely harmful, but too much can be too bad for the health.
This infographic helps to understanding about cholesterol, cholesterol levels and how it is linked to heart disease.
Cholesterol is needed by our body for the production of cell membranes, Vitamin D, Hormones, bile acid and many other things.
Liver makes 75% of the cholesterol found in our body and the remaining 25% comes from the foods consumed.
HDL cholesterol, also known as good cholesterol does good to us, by keeping the cholesterol away from the arteries and removing excess arterial plaque to prevent heart disease.
LDL cholesterol, the bad cholesterol may build up in arteries, forming plaque. Arteries get narrowed by plaque and a clot might develop increasing the risk of heart attack or stroke.
HDL/cholesterol ratio and Triglyceride/HDL ratio are better indicators of heart disease than cholesterol levels.