Studies say that South Africa, one of the developing nations, needs university degrees. The country must reinvent its economy and doing so requires a large pool of skilled workers to create, manage and run globally competitive companies. Lets find out how well the education system of South Africa is producing students.
Among 100% of learners who enter in 9th grade, 46% of learners that dropout before writing their NSCE (National Senior Certificate Exam) in 2011, in the remaining 54% who appeared NSCE, 30% of learners failed, and 38% of learners that pass the NSCE.
On the other hand, of the 54% of qualifiers to the NCSE, 24% qualified for admission to bachelor degree studies, 29% qualified for admission to diploma studies, and 17% qualified for admission to certificate studies. Therefore, the country has just 13 students who pursue degrees, of which 50% of learners that drop out. That means only 6.5 out of 100 learners (9th grade) earning a University degree. Hence the country, undoubtedly, requires many degree holders.