The term e-learning refers to a special kind of educational technology which makes use of virtual technology to allow people to learn from virtual platforms, anytime and anywhere. E-learning often facilitates training, delivery of just-in-time information and expert guidance.
Today, e-learning is being adapted and appreciated globally. The reasons behind this include :
- It is a lot less expensive than traditional classroom training
- E-learning is self-paced
- It moves faster
- E-learning removes the problem of difference in influence of different instructors and provides a consistency in learning
- It can work from any location and at any time. The Just-In-Time benefit can allow those people to learn who would have otherwise never would have been able to make space for learning in their schedule
- It can be updated easily and fast as the updated materials are simply uploaded to a server.
- It leads to increased retention and astronger understanding of the subject as it accommodates different elements of learning like audio, videos, quizzes, interaction, et cetera. There is also the chance to revisit those parts of the training that might need some more clarification.
- E-learning methods are easily manageable for large groups of students