During summer and spring, when the weather gets warmer, Toronto experiences an influx of pests. The following are six common pests, their health risks, and how to keep them away.
Bed bugs are wingless insects that are notorious for sucking human and animal blood while asleep. They are transmitted through infected clothing and objects.
How to prevent bed bugs:
• Consult the services of a pest control company
• Regularly clean your home
• Inspect packages coming to your home
• Wash and dry infected bedsheets and clothing Cockroaches
They are invasive insects that are highly adaptable. They have two central nervous systems that help them survive tough conditions.
How to prevent cockroaches:
• Hire a pest control professional.
• Seal and secure all food sources
• Ensure your kitchen is clean and dry Ants
Ants are explorers; they are attracted to food rich in starch and protein. They can cause significant damage to structures and will contaminate your food with illness-causing germs.
How to prevent ants:
• Contract a pest removal company
• Seal and secure potential entry points
• Ensure garbage bags and bins are sealed
• Don’t leave pet food outside House Flies
They can be found in garbage piles foraging for rotten food and leftovers. They have an infection-causing bacteria in their stomach and are believed to cause more than 65 diseases in humans.
How to prevent flies:
• Hire a pest control professional
• Ensure all entry points are sealed
• Clean all kitchen surfaces
• Secure your food in airtight containers Rodents
Rodents such as mice and rats cause extensive damages to structures in Toronto every year. They also spread diseases through bites and droppings left behind.
How to prevent rodents:
• Check your property for potential entry points
• Hire a pest removal company
• Declutter and clean your home
• Don’t leave food outside.
They are aggressive buzzing insects common in gardens during spring and summer. They are known to inflict allergic painful bites.
How to prevent wasps
• Seal potential entry points
• Hire a professional pest control Toronto service
• Clean and declutter your home