Application and infrastructure performance problems. In the modern data center, distributed, virtual and cloud-based applications pose a new challenge for monitoring system performance because most of the key system components are no longer hosted on a single machine.
Many organizations tackle app and infrastructure performance from a variety of angles, ranging from open source tools, byte-code injection, network driven solutions, end user monitoring, and so on.
However, many of these tools still leave organizations blind to performance troubles. For example, nearly two thirds of the time, IT hears about performance issues from end users (even though they may have implemented an end-user monitoring solution). Further,
organizations are spending the bulk of their effort monitoring custom built applications which only represent 20% of their applications. The other 80%, purchased third party apps, are rarely instrumented for performance.
Issues with app performance and infrastructure have a direct result on the business, leading to over $2m in business loss each year!