Mercury is used in the form of dental amalgams, in the dental industry. It is widely used around the world as a treatment for filling tooth decays. The amalgam filling, also known as silver filling consists of 50% mercury and other metals such as zinc, copper, etc. It is a material that appears silver in color and is used as a fill for cavities in teeth. Most people are not aware of the fact that mercury is a hazardous substance, which is toxic to our health, as well as the environment.
Mercury vapors that are released during the process of filling or removal of dental amalgams, can expose people to this toxin. These harmful vapors can be inhaled, while chewing. Too much of exposure to mercury vapor can lead to the damage of kidneys and brain. Mercury is also a threat to the environment, if it is not handled carefully. It can make its way into groundwater and pollute air. There are other alternative treatments to mercury, which cause less cost and harm to health and the environment. Find out the statistics about mercury dental fillings in this infographic.
‘if you enjoyed the infographic, please consider sharing it using the buttons on the left side!’