The infographic information is delivered by Dr. Tony Hampton, family medicine physician with Advocate Medical Group in Chicago. He says, sore throat is highly contagious and is caused by the streptococcal bacteria. A simple throat culture or rapid antigen test can help doctors in identifying strep throat.
- Gargle warm salt water 3-4 times a day and it kills bacteria in the throat and helps in reducing swelling.
- A mixture of apple cider vinegar and honey can be beneficial. Apple cider has acidic property that can kill bacteria and honey creates a layer over the sore throat that eases soreness.
- Fluids like water, chicken broth, and hot tea can support the cause where as coffee and alcohol can worsen the dehydration problems.
- Anti-inflammatory like Advil or Aleve can help reduce swelling and help you feel better if you have fever.
- Lozenges do contain menthol or eucalyptus that can help numb the tissue in your throat providing temporary pain relief.
- Zinc helps in building immune system and can heal wounds. Researchers say that taking zinc 24 hrs after cold symptoms arise has shown positive results.
- Vitamin C is an antioxidant and helps you with connective tissue, which gives support and structure for tissue and organs.
- Humidity – do arrange for a humidifier, it can add moisture, prevent stuffy nose, and scratch throat from the dry air.
- Honey Tea or Chamomile: A hot drink can sooth on your throat and helps you in having more sound sleep in night.
- Sleep, sleep, sleep: If you are able to give some extra shut-eye it can promote a quick rapid recovery.